Category: Full-time, Staff
Application Deadline: Until Filled
Eastern Nazarene College, a fully accredited Christian liberal arts college on Boston’s south shore, is seeking a Financial Aid Counselor to assist with day-to-day operations of the Student Financial Services Office with primary responsibilities in the processing of the federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs. Reporting to the Director of Student Financial Services, you will deliver in-depth customer service and counsel to students and parents regarding financial aid, billing, and payment options. You will provide support for the financial aid and student accounts functions in the Ellucian Colleague administrative system. You must be a collaborative team player and have strong communication skills and must support the traditions and values of Christian higher education.
Please submit your resume, along with a cover letter, and provide a statement of faith – a statement of your Christian experience, including how your Christian commitment models the mission and values of Eastern Nazarene College and your church affiliation and involvement – to email@example.com.
- Collect documents, determine eligibility, certify awards, process and disburse grants, scholarships, and loans for all state financial aid programs including awards through the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education. Balance and reconcile accounts and provide necessary reporting for all state financial aid programs. Ensure compliance with state financial aid regulations.
- Act as the primary Ellucian Colleague and Tableau technical support for the Student Financial Services Office. Test software updates, roll over new academic year updates, implement new functionality, and generate requested data reports.
- Complete financial aid packages for currently enrolled students in accordance with eligibility and renewal policies and communicate the awards.
- Assist with the processing and administration of financial aid awards to students enrolled in the Adult and Graduate Student (AGS) programs. Primary liaison with the AGS staff and faculty for financial aid.
- Administer the Federal Work-Study Program, determines eligibility, awards FWS funds, collects agreements and contracts from students and supervisors, monitors earnings, and works cooperatively with the Human Resources Office.
- Administer the employee tuition remission/tuition exchange programs in cooperation with the Human Resources Office.
- Determine eligibility and provide financial information to the Registrar’s Office for certification of all veteran’s educational benefits.
- Review financial aid recipients’ academic performance to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.
- Assist students with completing their financial aid applications including the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Advise students and parents regarding eligibility to ensure that student financial aid files are complete and in compliance with all federal and state guidelines and institutional policies.
- Ensure excellent customer service by effectively managing correspondence by phone and email with prospective and enrolled students and parents.
- Present financial aid information to constituents at on-campus events and high schools as part of ENC’s outreach efforts.
- Assist with student accounts inquiries, statements, and collections efforts. Also assist students with submitting the necessary financial aid and student accounts documents for the registration clearance process.
- Maintain knowledge of federal, state, and institutional policies and regulations. Assist with the compilation of the Policy and Procedures Manual and keep abreast of information that impacts the functioning of the financial aid department through the reading of related literature and by attending and participating in meetings and conferences.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of SFS.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in higher education and/or financial aid field preferred.
- Experience with Ellucian/Colleague or other higher education administrative system preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Specifically, Word, Excel and Outlook) to implement, develop, and maintain computer based business operations. Self-motivated to stay current with emerging office technologies and recommend and implement improvements.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Student-centered customer service orientation
- Ability to exercise and apply sound judgment and decision making skills as well as the ability to maintain integrity and confidentiality
- Ability to express ideas effectively in oral and written form. Competence to compose and edit correspondence, proposals, and reports and communicate complex or unfavorable information with tact and diplomacy
- Attention to detail and accuracy with data.
- Strong Christian commitment; embraces and embodies the mission of ENC.
Who We Are
Eastern Nazarene College is a fully accredited Christian liberal arts college and member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) with approximately 1,000 students distributed across residential undergraduate, graduate, and adult studies programs. Nestled in a residential neighborhood minutes from downtown Boston, the college’s picturesque New England campus is a window into the world. While our faculty are leaders in their fields, actively involved in publishing and research, they are devoted to teaching and mentoring students in a nurturing, spiritually informed, and academically supportive environment. Students are encouraged to travel, engage in service projects, and participate in internship experiences as a part of their education. Through their classes, work experiences in Boston, and mission trips around the world, students are challenged to open their minds and hearts, preparing them for a lifetime of meaningful work and service to our nation and the world.
Our benefits include health, dental, tuition benefits for employee and dependents, competitive retirement matching, generous paid time off, life and disability insurance, and more. In addition, as a staff or faculty member in our multi-cultural and close-knit community, you’ll enjoy a variety of unique benefits as you play an active role in achieving our mission and supporting our community.
Applicants should be committed Christians and active in a local church. Preference in hiring is given to those with Wesleyan convictions and background, though qualified applicants from other Christian traditions will be considered as well. www.enc.edu
Eastern Nazarene College provides a transformational education that equips diverse students to lead and serve our world as agents of Christ’s love and truth.
Eastern Nazarene College will be widely-recognized as a leader in innovative Christian education, renowned for excellence in student achievement, vibrant intercultural community, and global impact
- Holistic education: We provide a holistic educational experience in the liberal arts and professional studies that integrates spiritual, academic, emotional, and social development.
- Christian community: We facilitate the building of loving relationships so that we reflect the Spirit of Christ in our life together.
- Student-centered: We orient our work around the success of our students, making every effort to be responsive to the unique needs, aspirations, and backgrounds of each one.
- Wesleyan: Consistent with our rich Wesleyan holiness tradition, we create and maintain an environment which awakens and fosters truth, righteousness, and justice as made possible by God’s transforming grace through Jesus Christ.
- Civility and hospitality: We intentionally welcome and embrace people from diverse cultures, viewpoints, and faith traditions.
- Servanthood: We model servant leadership to our students and community by building a culture of listening, respect, encouragement, and support.
- Authenticity and transparency: We are deliberately honest in our relationships, candid in our communication, and transparent in our governance in order to foster trust and confidence.
- Excellence: In an effort to provide “the best in education and the best in Christian faith,” we strive for excellence that honors God in all our endeavors.
- Strategic innovation: While remaining deeply rooted in our mission, we are boldly creative and innovative in the methods we employ.
- Accountability: We keep promises, honor commitments, meet and exceed expectations, and are willing to be held accountable for the faithful fulfillment of our responsibilities.
Our lifestyle guidelines reflect the “Articles of Faith and “Agreed Statement of Belief” of the Church of the Nazarene and the Mission Statement of Eastern Nazarene College. The premise of our lifestyle guidelines is to exemplify such personal, moral, and religious conduct as shall be above reproach. This lifestyle premise is for everyone working and living on campus: students, faculty, staff, and administration. This lifestyle premise is a rationale for desirable behavior and attitudes. To be in accord with the purposes and spirit of the College and with the doctrines and standards of the Church of the Nazarene, our lifestyle practices exclude: drinking alcoholic beverages, engaging in sexual acts with anyone other than your spouse, viewing pornographic and violent videos/movies, using illegal drugs or misuse of prescription drugs, participating in gambling, or using tobacco in any form. The College also asks employees to follow dress code guidelines. The College expects all employees to live by this lifestyle premise. We ask for an understanding of the need for lifestyle standards, a good spirit in keeping them, and cooperative efforts in improving them. As ENC employees, we ask that you consider the larger picture that what we do and how we do it reflects on ENC and affects other people as well as ourselves. Our desire is to glorify God in all our efforts.
Eastern Nazarene College policy prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion*, age, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, marital status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected class in all aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge. We actively encourage applications from underrepresented groups.*
*Christian Faith and employment at Eastern Nazarene College: Eastern Nazarene College is an expression of the Church of the Nazarene. It reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Section 702-703, U.S. Civil Rights Act of 1964). Preferred candidates demonstrate a strong commitment to the Christian faith, active participation in a local church, and a philosophy of Christian higher education consistent with the Wesleyan tradition.