Quarantine and Isolation Update
As of today, there are 28 students in quarantine or isolation on campus or at their homes off-campus. We seem to be past the initial cluster surge from last week and have had just 2 positive cases this week with more than 300 tests administered. We remain in close contact with the Contact Tracing Collaborative (CTC) to provide rapid follow-up in order to limit the potential of campus spread. While our numbers are higher than they were last fall, what we are experiencing is not unusual for campuses in the Commonwealth.
Please remember that there are lots of good resources at your fingertips to help you keep a safe and healthy ENC. To review resources and tips for caring for the community please review the COVID Resource Center at https://encedu.sharepoint.com/sites/COVIDCenter-ENC
Modified Community Contact Update – Resumption of Classroom Instruction
The results of our campus testing protocols this week are highly encouraging and allow us to resume much of our COVID-normal community life, with a few limitations remaining in place for the coming week. The following guidelines will take effect on Monday, February 22:
- Traditional undergraduate classes will resume face to face instruction on Monday, and AGS classes will also proceed as they began last week.
- Chapel will return to COVID-normal operation for Wednesday, February, 24th.
- Spangenberg Parlor, Munro Parlor, the Memorial Underground, and the Family Room will reopen for socially distant gathering, but eating will not be allowed in those spaces. Hebrews and the Dug Out will remain open for food pickup, but the seating areas will be closed.
- Supervised athletic practices will resume in the phased progression appropriate for each team. Student athletes can expect to receive further instruction from their coaches about what this will mean for them.
- Small group gatherings and campus jobs where appropriate distancing can be maintained will also be happening this week.
- The major modification that will remain in place this week is the continuation of grab-and-go dining. Below are the hours for campus meal service.
- Dining Hall Hours:
- Monday – Friday
- Breakfast 7 am – 9 am
- Lunch 11:30 am – 1:30 pm
- Dinner 5 pm – 6:15 pm
- Continental breakfast 8 am – 9am
- Brunch/lunch 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
- Dinner 5 pm – 6pm
- Continental breakfast 8am – 9am
- Lunch 12:00 pm – 1:15 pm
- Dinner 5 pm – 6 pm
- Dugout Monday- Friday
- 11:30 am – 1:30 pm
- 4pm – 10 pm
- Commuter students who need assistance identifying an appropriate place for their meals can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to request guidance about options for themselves.
CDC Mask Update
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has determined that single layer face coverings such as bandanas and neck gaiters are not as effective as fitted multilayer facemasks in preventing the spread of COVID-19. The College strongly encourage ENC community members to utilize multilayer fitted facemasks. If you are in need of a fitted mask, please reach out to Student Development at email@example.com and we will make arrangements to supply you with one. Fitted face coverings have become very available and can be found a most major retailers. Target, Wal-Mart, and Amazon all carry multiple options. REMEMBER well fitted means: over your mouth and over your nose.
ENC = Every Nose Covered!
Testing Center Update
The Testing Center will be open during regular hours Monday-Thursday this week. Please pay careful attention to your email and schedule your testing appointment when prompted.
Remember that summary testing results are published weekly at: https://enc.edu/covid-19-campus-testing/
We know that this has been a challenging week, and that it is impossible to eliminate all of the uncertainties. Thank you to each of you for all that you have done to help keep our entire community safe and healthy.
Bill McCoy, PhD
Interim Academic Dean
Emergency Response Team
23 East Elm Avenue
Quincy, MA 02170-2999