became a formal subject of study at ENC in 1921, with the arrival of
Hugh C. Benner to the Wollaston campus. He later served as the founding
president of the Nazarene
Theological Seminary and a general superintendent in the Church of the
1930s and World War II era, the Department of History remained a small
one-person department. Professor Linford A. Marquart was particularly
in organizing ENC students. Under his sponsorship, the History Club
into the most prestigious student organization on campus, and students
formed a chapter of the League of Evangelical Students. That
organization elected him to a national office. When in 1940 Professor
resigned to take a position on the faculty of Olivet Nazarene College,
Professor Mervel P. Lunn replaced him on the ENC faculty and taught
throughout most of the decade.
WWII, ENC's History Department enjoyed a period of impressive growth
accomplishment. Two of the strongest instructors the College has known
arrived on campus: Professor Charles W. Akers and Professor Timothy L.
Smith. They not only professionalized the curriculum, but inspired a
of students to attain academic excellence and professional
returned to his alma mater ENC in 1948 while still engaged in graduate
studies at Boston University. He was joined in 1949 by Professor Smith,
who likewise was completing his graduate work at Harvard University
the renowned historian Arthur Slesinger, Sr. Smith and Akers
ENC students a rich program of instruction based upon their own
doctoral studies. And both went on to establish national reputations as
scholars, Akers in colonial American history and Smith in American
church history. Akers'
three biographies [Called unto Liberty: A Life of Jonathan
1720-1766 (Harvard 1964), Abigail Adams: An
Foresman, 1980), and The Divine Politician: Samuel Cooper and the
Revolution in Boston (Northeastern, 1982)] received critical
within the history profession. The prestigious American
Association's Guide to Historical Literature included Akers’ work among
the significant contributions to historical scholarship (Oxford, 1995).
Smith's Revivalism and Social Reform: American Protestantism on the
Eve of the Civil War (Johns Hopkins, 1957) remains a classic work
American historiography. (Click
here for contemporary reviews of Revivalism and Social Reform.)
He also wrote the definitive
history of the Church of the Nazarene, Called Unto Holiness(Beacon
Hill, 1962). Smith's many
scholarly publications and formidable knowledge of American church
history and ethnicity earned him the honor of being one of six
historians to address the American Historical Association in the
year of 1976 on the meaning of the American
reorganized the College's general education curriculum by replacing a
course in European history with a course in Western Civilization.
of multiple sections of the course, he employed a large lecture session
with recitation sessions conducted by history majors. Smith also
illustrated lectures on Fine Arts as part of this course and thereby
the visual arts into the general education curriculum.
the first director of College Courses Incorporated, sponsored by the
School Department. Dr. Akers transformed this into Quincy Junior
and served as its first full-time director. Smith passed away in 1997.
Akers lives in retirement in South Carolina.
Akers and Smith inspired a generation of ENC students, including James
R. Cameron who graduated from ENC in 1951 and received a Master's
in history from Boston University in 1952. Professor Cameron taught
in the Eastern Nazarene Academy while pursuing doctoral studies at
University. When Professor Smith resigned in 1954 to take a position at
East Texas State University, Cameron replaced him. (Later Smith went on
to the University of Minnesota and ended his academic career at The
Hopkins University.) When Dr. Akers resigned in 1959 to take a
at Geneva College, Professor Cameron, who received his doctorate that
was appointed head of the History Department and Chair of the Division
of Social Sciences. He would hold the former position for thirty-five
and the latter for thirty-six. In addition to earning numerous teaching
awards, Dr. Cameron published several books [among them Frederic
William Maitland and the History of English Law (Oklahoma,
and Eastern Nazarene College: The First Fifty Years, 1900-1950
1968)] and has established an enviable reputation as a local historian.
During Dr. Cameron's tenure as Department Chair, the basic history
still in effect today, took shape: two-semester survey courses in both
European and American history, a seminar in historiography and
and electives in English, Russian, American, Ancient, Medieval, and Early
Modern European history, along with a series of government
Barbara Faulkner began her teaching career at ENC as an adjunct
in English history. Meanwhile, she served as secretary to the academic
dean and worked on her doctoral program at Boston University. She
a full-time instructor in the History Department in 1960, teaching
American and Russian history.
Cameron and Faulkner were joined by Dr. Larry Hybertson, another
of the College. He received his doctorate in Renaissance Studies at the
University of Oregon and came to ENC from the faculty of Florida State
University. After six years, he resigned to pursue a second doctorate
a second career in psychological testing. Hybertson passed away in
of the 1950s, Professor James Golden began a program of intercollegiate
debate at ENC. Dr. Akers took over the debate program and forged it
one of national prominence. In 1958, Luther Starnes and Richard
both history majors, qualified for the National Debate Tournament at
Point. Dr. Cameron took over the program in 1959, and under his
the team went to the Nationals in 1961 and again in 1962. When Dr.
was on an exchange professorship at Northwest Nazarene College in
his star debater and history major was Kent Hill. After his graduate
at the University of Washington, Dr. Hill became a history professor at
Seattle Pacific University and President of a Washington-based think
Hill became president of ENC following the sudden death of Dr. Cecil
in 1992 and served until 2001 when he became assistant administrator
Europe and Eurasia for USAID.
of history alumni returning to ENC continued when in 1977 Donald A.
became an instructor in the History Department. He taught history
and general education courses (in particular the capstone course
Issues") while he completed his doctoral dissertation at the University
of Maine. In 1980, Professor Yerxa became ENC's first full-time
of Admissions and continued in this capacity until 1988, when he left
During his time in Admissions, he continued to teach "Living Issues"
some courses in history. In 1991, Dr. Yerxa returned to ENC after
and Empires: The U.S. Navy and Caribbean, 1898-1945
of South Carolina, 1991) and helped launch the new accelerated adult
program: LEAD. In 1992, he returned to full-time teaching on the
campus and was named chair of the History Department in 1994, a
he still holds.
a major curriculum review in the mid-1990s that led to the expansion of
offerings in American history. He launched a major lecture
series, which continues to bring many prominent historians to the
to speak and interact with students. And in 1997, he organized the
Theta Rho chapter of Phi Alpha
national history honor society.
In 2001, Yerxa reduced his teaching at ENC to become the assistant
of The Historical Society with offices at Boston University. His
duties are to edit the Society's bulletin, Historically
Speaking. With ENC physics professor Karl Giberson, Yerxa wrote
of Origins: America's Search for a Creation Story (Rowan &
1995, the History Department welcomed Nicholas Rowe to the faculty. He
finished a doctorate in Anglo-French intellectual history at Boston
in 1997 and remained on the ENC faculty until 2001. Rowe provided ENC
with a fresh new perspective on the discipline of history and a variety
of new educational experiences, including a January 1997 travel seminar
to rural Tennessee where students conducted an exciting oral history
with two African American congregations.
Department is currently experiencing growth and new energy. Two new
have joined the faculty since 2002. Carla Lovett, who is completing a
in modern Austrian social and religious history at Boston University,
a commitment to academic rigor and a keen desire to provide
students with expanded intellectual and social opportunities beyond the
traditional undergraduate classroom. Under her guidance both the
Club and ENC's Phi Alpha Theta chapter have experienced renaissance.
has also introduced several new travel courses, including one on the
Randall Stephens is the most recent addition to the ENC History
He received his PhD in American religious history from the University
Florida in 2003. His areas of expertise include late 19th and early
American history, the South, American religious history, American
music, historical theology, and cultural history. He has published
in the Journal of Southern Religion
and Fides et
moved to the Old Colony campus in the summer of 2004. The spacious new
quarters, that include office suites and the ENC Archives, are being
James R. Cameron Center for History, Law & Government in honor
of the over half-century of service that Professor Cameron has given